"Experienced & Aggressive Tampa Family Law Attorney"

Office Tampa, FL   -  813.873.9047

Modification Of Child Support

In these difficult economic times, it can be difficult to keep up with child support payments. When child support payments are behind, the payors:

  • driver’s license may be suspended
  • wages may be garnished
  • tax returns may be confiscated

If you are unable to keep up with child support payments because you’ve lost your job or your salary has decreased, you must petition the court to modify child support to prevent these penalties.

Child support can be modified by either party in the event that there is a substantial change in circumstances in which the current child support guidelines differ from the previously established guidelines at least 15% or $50, whichever amount is greater. However, this alone cannot be the sole basis for the modification.

The judge may also grant a child support deviation in certain cases, given the specific factors established in Florida law.

Our firm represents clients in both upward and downward child support modification cases and zealously argues to the court why a special deviation from the child support guidelines should be given based upon our client’s specific circumstances.