Office Tampa, FL - 813.873.9047

Can I Change My Florida Child Support or Alimony Order?

Posted on : October 15, 2018

If your life circumstances change, it’s natural to wonder whether or not you are eligible to change the order that has been established by the court. It is often the case that a person or family will have changing circumstances and may need to update existing materials to more accurately reflect what is going on with their family at this point in time. These are known as post-decree modifications and can be handled by an experienced Florida family lawyer.

When your life circumstances change, your court order may need to be updated as well. Modifications can occur based on either side of the alimony order or for either parent requesting child support or custody. In the best-case scenarios, both parties will be able to come to their own agreements outside of court and submit those changes to a judge to approve.

To make changes to a child support order, parenting plan or alimony order already approved by the court, the individual asking for changes has to show a substantial and material change in their own circumstances.

Whether it is a straightforward modification that needs to be submitted to the court or whether you need the support of an attorney to craft a plan for how to request your next steps, consult with an experienced attorney to help you determine what to do next. A knowledgeable lawyer will be on your side and help you to understand what to do and how to make the most of this experience so that your new orders reflect your family’s current needs.        

Comments are closed here.